Pages

Friday, February 24, 2006

Who/What are Best Friends?

A friend of mine asked me the above question when I was talking to him about A Best Friend of mine.

Over the past few years I have accumulated few best friends but I was bowled over when someone asked me to define best friends. Apparently none of my friends I was with that night had any best friends...Well all of them were guys...So I think it is a girl thing to have best friends.

Anyhoo, here is how I define my best friends:

  • They are my friends whom I know for so long that they would always be friends who I have known longer than other friends I have made in the recent years.
  • They are those who know everything about me,
  • Those with whom I don't have to explain myself,
  • Those who love me no matter what,
  • Those whom I don't have to impress,
  • Those with whom I can be myself,
  • Those who will always be there for me,
  • Those with whom I can discuss anything irrespective of their sex,
  • And above all, I am what I am today partly because of their influence in my life...

etc...

and the list goes on...

Is there a difference between friends and best friends? I know not...As I really don't think I differentiate much at a surface level...Maybe at a deeper level there is more connection with a best friend and I do not see anything wrong in that...Just because someone is just a friend does not mean I do not love them...

Did this make sense? Gosh! Too much thinking on a Friday evening...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I agree with parts of what you say. Personally I never understood the "best friend" concept, you either have a friend or not, until recently I think best friends are like family they will stick with you till your death.

A lot of friends will come and go but the ones that stay are the best.

Make sense?

btw..i do read your blog pretty regularly, and I can relate to a lot of things that you write

Anu Russell said...

@Anon...

Ya...I agree about sticking till the last...

For this situation I guess I can modify AL Tennyson's poem 'Brook'

For frends may come and friends may go
but best friends stay on forever

Cheesy but what the hell!!!

Fosix said...

it is not true that only girls have best friends...
that guy at the bar who always gets wasted really early on the evening and then keeps buying drinks for everybody around him is our best friend :D ;)

Anu Russell said...

Fosix...

Ah! All my efforts once again gone to vain...thanks! Grr....

:)

Trevor Penn said...

According to your list, a schizo's alter-ego is his/her best friend... :D

Anu Russell said...

Seashells...

But I really have a few friends who are almost everything in the list...and trust me...I don't hear voices in my head ;)

This just goes to prove that a few dudes don't have best friends...sorry! :(

Trevor Penn said...

Anonymous is my best friend. And what i said in my earlier comment, still holds. :D