Pages

Monday, February 20, 2006

Okay...I was reading Fosix's blog about locker rooms in gym's and remembered my own first experience in one...

Location: Kansas State University Natatorium
Scene: Locker Room
Characters: Roomie and Me

Me: This is cool...So many lockers...Ok where do I change?

Roomie placing her stuff neatly on the bench...
Roomie: Here

Me still holding my bag...
M: Here? Well there should be some room...

Roomie Stripping
R: Nope...Here...

M: I am not doing this...Can't strip in public.

Roomie looks around and looks at me...
R: I don't see anybody else in this row.

M: Doesn't make a difference...It is not private...

Roomie kindly...
R: I felt the same way too darling...But this is America and these things are cool...Just go on the other side and change quickly before anyone comes...Take a couple of big towels if you are shy...Now go on...We should go and get our lanes before someone else gets to it...

Reluctantly I left, changed and walked back to her in my suit and a towel wrapped around my waist...

M: Okay I need to shower before I dive into the pool...Where is one?

R: Actually...Lot of people don't care...But if you want you can go around the wall...

M: I ain't going without you...

So we both head for the pool...Swim for an hour or more and exhausted we come back to change...Once again I am reminded of the rows of lockers between which we need to change with no such thing as privacy...Sorry but I am a Desi...That too a south Indian one...

M: Pre showers can be avoided but post ones...Are important for my skin...

R: Totally agree with you...Did you bring you shampoo and soap?

M: Right here...

And we marched into a shower what looked like a public bath...Imagine a rod that has four shower heads and a partition in the shape of X permitting four people to take shower at a time...No privacy...I froze...

M: To hell with my skin...I am waiting outside for you...I am in no mood to see naked women...

I walked out fast focusing on the floor...and heard my roomie laughed at me before she stepped in...

Hahaha! That was five years ago...and even today I am a little apprehensive about locker rooms...At this 24 Hr Gym of mine...I still focus on the floor when I walk in to change in the handicap change room still avoiding public stripping...I am not interested in seeing naked women and that is very reassuring...

The killer is my British boss thinks that Americans are very conservative because men and women in her gym step into the jacuzzi in their swim suits...and she wanted ME to relate to it!!!

3 comments:

Trevor Penn said...

So, would you be willing to sign Fosix's petition for unisex locker rooms... :)) that way, who you see naked, becomes more of a choice... :P The good thing is, the notion is no longer gay-centric.

PS: Just so you know, i second his motion. :)

Anu Russell said...

Lol...Why not??? As long as they have enclosed shower stalls and Private Change Rooms...Sure!

Fosix said...

its a good thing i read this post AFTER work... else i would have been thinking about the women's locker room the whole day and no work would have gotten done... :D