Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Careful...It Might Tear

When I was a little girl my father had these amazing collection of Britannica Encyclopedia and some other beautiful books, full of information, stories, and images. My brothers and I went crazy over it and wanted to read it all the time but my father had rules. First, we had to prove to him that our hands were washed. Then we had to choose which book we wanted and he would bring it to us once we were comfortably sat on the sofa. Then he would clearly explain the rules to us. No flipping around pages. Have to turn pages using the upper corner only. No earmarking. No tear. No smudge or smear. And I do not remember a single time I had missed any of his rules. All of us strictly adhered to it and eventually big brother S got the collection...hmph! If only I had known!

Anyways, so the other day I was telling G about how kids take books for granted, blah, blah, blah...and then when I saw Babs lift my brand new Ipad, I yelled out her rules to her and told her to hold it carefully. She is not to lift it without my knowledge and she should be sitting on the sofa. She cannot watch a movie holding it in her hands and has to be super careful. If she even hurt it a little bit, she will be hearing about it from me for the rest of her life.

Then I realized that I had just read out aloud to her the Ipad riot act. My Ipad to me is what my Dad's encyclopedia's were to him. Every generation has something that the younger will disrespect or take for granted...the cycle was coming around to me! It is catching up...I am getting old...

So Babs, if you ever think that I am strict, remember I am so because my dad was so...and we all turned out alright :)

Loving Amma
ART

No comments: