Pages

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Elections and All...

I don't get to vote in the United State of America, so I particularly did not pay much attention to the elections. I enjoyed the debates and kept up with the gossip but that was it. I did not sit down and do calculations as to how my life will be affected based on who wins the elections. The reason I did not do it was because I did not have a say in the government. Which is also probably the reason why I was never strongly McCain or strongly Obama.

I must admit though that these elections were by far the most fun to follow. G and I stayed up last night to see Obama's speech before we hit the sack talking about it for sometime. Tears welled up in my eyes to hear McCain's speech. The respect I had for him just doubled the very minute he started talking. And when Mr. President-Elect came on the screen I could feel the energy, the vigor, and the charisma that we are going to have in the White House for the next four years and I felt proud.

Like many have repeated it time and again, this is definitely a change and the change has happened, and this sort of a change can only happen in America, which is exactly why this is one of world's greatest country. And I am so proud to be here.

PS: The small things that make me love USA more...yesterday I was driving back home with babbi on a crowded road and I saw an Emergency vehicle drive up on the opposite side which was so packed up at the intersection. But the minute he turned his lights on everyone scurried over to make room for him to drive. That very act of trying to let the person in urgency go made my heart well up.

Disclaimer: I am an Indian and will remain one until I choose to change it. And I love my country as much as I love America or even a little more for the memories and the great opportunity it provided me with. India was the country chosen for me and right now America is the country I chose...No one to attack me with "You are a fake Indian," and such comments...I spoke what was in my heart.

4 comments:

Chitra said...

With u on those words Anu,...McCain's speesh was swell, no doubt and Obama seemed confident. America is truly a land of opportunities and anything can happen. I love this country and I love India..so, whats wrong w/ that? I hate those people who go "I hate India, the corruption, pollution, people"...I frankly dont see anything wrong with it....Its because of these elements that i am able to appreciate the other beautiful aspects of my country...

Although, I was pretty bummed when Prop 8 passed in CA. Everybody is entitled to their right to marry whoever they want...Afterall, Isnt this America, where anything is possible w/out discrimination???

Anu Russell said...

I think if you can rest the selection of the government on people who are older than 18...then you can also consider them to be matured enough to choose what they want to do with their lives...I see some conservative hand in all these issues...

Chitra said...

Hmm....True...

Megha Bansal said...

i too feel the same way!

very proud!