Pages

Friday, October 03, 2008

Har Hair Ki Kahani

I have been crazy about hairdo's all my life...I can start posting pics right from my childhood where I looked real crazy with short hair...then let it grow, then cut it short, the cycle went on...

When I lived in Trichy, there were no beauty parlor's in our township in the early 80's...all they had were two Saloons (ya not salon's...and yes I know Saloon's are places of drinking...thanks...and in good old India that is where you got your hair cut)...and both specialized in cutting men's hair, shaving, and maalish (massage)...but that is the only place a little girl would go too...when I was in 5th standard my dad took me to this guy who promised a new hairstyle for me...I did not know any better...happily I climbed on the chair and when he was done I was shocked...I had bangs...ya like the cute Chinese girls...and ya I looked Chinese...my mom saw me and she was so mad at the barber...she took me back to him, yelled at him, then came home and yelled at dad (who has ever since refused to take any of us for a haircut) and I got a bit of crossfire too...

I remember I was in 9th grade...and I decided to cut my hair really really short...and when I went to a parlor near my apartment the lady touched my hair and said, "I feel so bad cutting your hair." But I told her to go ahead with a big smile on my face...the minute she put the scissor to my hair I regretted it...too late now!

My classmates (a few of the most hideous bunch...who were annoying PIA's...) called me Conie...meaning my hair resembled a coniferous forest...I was so mad...but these were lowlife creatures and it would definitely lower my status wasting my breath on them...one of the sicko's met me in orkut and asked me if I was the same girl he used to call Conie...I deleted his message and have blocked him too...oops...this was not a rant post...damn I digressed again...

I grew it out again...but never longer than just below my shoulder...until I was in my 3rd year college when I decided to cut it to fall just around my ear...one of my best friends in college (Sul) came up to me and asked me never ever to do that to my hair again...but I did it again and again...till I got bored of it...Sorry Sul...

Then I came here...to US of A...my hair was always hovering around shoulder length...then one day in 2002 I decided I needed a make over and got my hair cut in layers...being a newbie to styling hair I was at a loss for what to do...and I also noticed much to my chagrin that after layering that my hair felt thinner...I panicked and decided never to cut my hair in that fashion...

My mom told me that she would like for me to do the traditional South Indian hair style with hair ornaments for my wedding and requested me to grow my hair...which I did like the good girl I am...and my hair was long...the longest I ever had it at least...and for almost 4 years I just trimmed the edges never bothered to style it or cut it...

Ya...that is how long it was before I got it cut!

When I had Babs, I decided that I was up for a makeover and this time I have to do once again what I have to do...I went to this guy Peter...who cut my hair a bit short...the next time I went he cut it a bit more shorter


The first installment and second installment were not very short...but were coming close to the destination...

And yesterday I went I gave him a go ahead to cut it up to my shoulders...he cuts my hair...takes away the cape and then tells me..."you look so much younger now."

Mission accomplished...


This is me with my latest installment! God knows how short I am going to go...


But when G saw me last night...he looked a bit quizzical and then told me...you know you do look a bit Chinese...well that is a full circle...what I realized is...that it is not the hairstyle...it is me!!! I look Chinese no matter what...

Till then Xie Xie (shi shi - Thank you in Chinese) peoples...

13 comments:

Megha Bansal said...

You're the most jobless and i am second in line ;)

First off, the title is hilarious! and i heard you say it in my head, so it was funnier ;)

Now that i think about it, you do have Chinese features. hahaha...just kidding, maybe you do look, next time i'll look at you closer :D

Hair styling is a funny business, you are placing your trust in an almost complete stranger. sometimes it's the worst nightmare and you just cannot wait for it to grow back. but you have nothing to worry, the current style is really nice!! you DO look younger and it's very chic.

Diana Sahu said...

the second n third cuts r nice...

Anu Russell said...

Thanks Diana...and thanks for visiting...I am trying hard :)

Ya MG...I am ekdham waste and TP doing person...ya I am sur eyou heard it with my perfect hinglish accent na...I forgot to put a only or actually after it...

I really do have chinese features...almost there nose and a line for lips and two slits for eyes...mascarra and eyeliner do not help much :( but I am learning chinese...so i guess iw ill be fine :)

P said...

I do not believe for a second that you look Chinese.. your eyes are beautifully large unlike the 'drooping' ones characteristic of the Chinese!

btw.. u really learning Chinese?? U seem to have a 40 hour day! :) :)

Anu Russell said...

hey P...not really learning learning...just started watching tonnes of chinese and korean dramas...they are actually good... :)

Anonymous said...

all ur posts r nice. wud be nice if u cud remove the word verification. I am a silent reader but seldome comments! :-)

-Mullai

Anu Russell said...

Thanks Mullai...

I appreciate your visiting my page and being a silent reader...

I have to have the word verification on or else I get spam comments...really annoying ones selling viagara and the likes...annoying na...thats why...sorry...

but still comment pa...else I don't get feedback and don't know who you are :)

Love
ART

Unknown said...

i love tht song.... well i was about to read and leave but was driven into action by your profile intro...i was amazed to c the black and whiteness with which ... you seem to have opinions... i thinkk that is great... wish i saw life tht way - im sure u r wondering wtf :) well... thts wht i am left with when i read thru ur blog

Anu Russell said...

Hi namesake Anu...Thanks for stopping by and your comments are very much appreciated...

Well...I think I mostly blog on stuff that i have an opinion on...all the gray areas...I wait till I get them sorted out or leave them right there hopefully not leaving my ignorance to exposure...

Prasanthi Neeladaran said...

Nice posting as always:) Hair styling is a nightmare and sometimes I thing abt doing a 101 for dummies course.....But then agin even with that done my excuse would be time in the mornings.....Shorter the cut the better for new working moms I guess:)

TC

Anu Russell said...

Ya prasanthi

It is a nightmare...glad I found someone who actually knows what he is doing...u shud come to dallas and go to Peter too...

my colleague also went to him yest and he pepped her up too... :)

Unknown said...

Had to leave a Comment Girl!!! you made me laugh with this post..
"what I realized is...that it is not the hairstyle...it is me!!! I look Chinese no matter what..." me realized it over my last trip to India ..and now am letting it grow, fall..curl whatever!! am at peace now :-)

Anu Russell said...

hehehehe@ Kushi...thanks for stopping by :)

I think 30 years of wisdom & experience finally made me realize the truth!