This came out early this week in all major Desi internet newslinks...That Mumbai is the Rudest City World. Is that true? I do not know, why would someone say that? Well they did because they did some research. This is fine, research and all that, now what can we say in the scientific world where anything tagged with the word research is accepted. Shoba Warrier, a prominent journalist in India writes that Chennai is the Kindest City. What do we do of this? I don't know. Can someone claim so? Absolutely..Lets me explain what I believe about Cities and then lets discuss...
1) To bitch/moan/hate/love/like/etc any city (even if it is Mexico City or Cancun) you need to live there for sometime and feel the essence of the place, make friends, etc. You cannot make a decision of like or dislike while visiting/touring a place. What tourism portrays is different from living and life in a particular city.
2) You have to accept that one's hometown is probably one's most favorite place on earth. It does not carry just the I-belong-here factor, but it also carries a lot of memories. So stop dissing other people's hometown because you might/are hurting their feeling.
3) Cities are not only made up of places you can hang out at but also of the People itself...The more familiar/friendly faces the more fun a city is.
4) Never make your opinion of a city based on other's stories. Remember stories are always concocted with a lot of adjectives and exaggerations.
5) Bottom line, we are all one country. I know historically we were not one...But now that we are and we are trying to progress as one country...Lets top dissing and start loving every city in our country at least equally.
I am from Chennai and have always heard bad comments about Chennai - hot, no water, people cannot speak Hindi, its boring, etc...But then its my hometown. I love it, I don't care what is wrong with it because I see so many things that are right with it. But that is because I have lived there and experienced life there and trust me it is great too...It was for me, my family, and my friends...
So is there really a rudest City or a kindest city? I do not think so. Every city has its own pulse and if matches it yours, things work out for you need to look for one where your heart beat vibes...Such is life...Stop bitching and start the loving!