Pages

Friday, September 05, 2008

I am all about sports

Ya...I watch every single sportshow that comes on TV...some because I like it and some because I am forced to as G puts on his puppy face and of course I melt down...

Anyhoo, I watch Tennis, Cricket, Basketball, football (soccer), ping-pong, even American Football of which I understand nada...I am also into watching golf the whole 6 or 7 hours while most golf players find watching golf on TV boring...ya I do all that...and there is one thing I really feel very strong about...the renumeration for the players...

When you watch WNBA (I don't) the women play as much as the NBA players do...but they get paid far less...I am also assuming that the women golfers also do 18 holes and not 9 becuase they also get paid less than half of what the men get paid...it is unfair...

But on the other hand you have tennis...which is my favorite sport ever...I am not like one of those girls who know a few names and throw it around here and there...I have been watching tennis since the days of Borg and McEnroe and I have hardly taken a break from following it...so trust me, I know what I am talking about here...in tennis BJ King...who of course I have never had the chance to see playing (I was a baby probably) made sure that men and women get paid the same amount...

Which is the most brilliant thing that any sport can do...no wonder women's tennis is as popular as men's tennis now...unlike any other sport...where only men's game gets the primetime viewing and the rest are shoved away with minimal sponsors and such...I understand how the renumeration works...more viewers=more sponsors=more pay...ya but we are talking about less exposure too!!!

Anyway...my point is...I am grateful for BJK to have done what she has done and now she even has a tennis arena named after her in Flushing Meadows...Great job and a step in the right direction for women's lib folk...but here is what I do not agree with...how come men play 5 sets while women only play 3...is this not unfair to the men? I strongly believe that men and women both should either play 3 sets or 5 sets...weren't we just talking about equality for both men and women...hmm...I wonder how that got lost!

So everytime I see the Women's tennis it irritates me that women get away with a two setter on a good day and three on their worst...but the poor men have to fight it out for 3 on a good day and 5 on their worst...isn't women's lib all about empowerment and women are equal to men and all that?

There...I have gotten you to think too...Hope they change this too...


PS: I know that most of the ATP and US Open tour games are 3 sets for both men and women...I am talking about the slams...thanks :)

No comments: