Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pachai Nirame Pachai Nirame...

Well, if you do not know what the title means...it is from the movie Alai Payuthe...Pachai Nirame.

Anyways, the entire world seems to be going GREEN now. Everyone is talking about getting environmental friendly, hybrid cars, no plastic, no styrofoam, no this and no that. So I decided before I took the LEED exam that I will also do something that is Green. 

First step, we stopped printing random things. We are now trying to write down directions in a small peice of pre-used paper instead of printing it. GPS, you say? I say, no dabbu (money).

Next, we decided to use kitchen towels sparingly and use towels to clean the kitchen and wipe hands (separate ones). I wash and recycle them.

I am not using any chemicals for cleaning now. It is water or water with vinegar in most cases. I do have the Super 409 just in case of emergencies and hard stains.

We use plastics at a minimum too.

I keep lights turned on only in rooms that are occupied. All dead and live electric loads are also kept to a minimum. We use dimmers when we are watching TV.


Even the A/C now does not cross 71 degrees in summer even in the night. I have changed the comforters to really thin blankets that keep us cozy but not hot. Also I am planning to buy portable A/C so that we can cut down more on the electricity use and bill.

I am doing other small things and hopefully will reduce my contribution to the world's garbage...and hopefully you will also do something similar. It not only reduces the burden on earth but also on your pocket. So will be something for you to consider doing...

One thing I wish I could do is to take Babs off her diapers...which would then reduce her carbon butt print...but for that I have to wait another 4-5 months :)

Pachai Pachai...

Love
ART

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WoW! thats really impressive re!!
And inspiring too....

Anu Russell said...

No girl, there are so many people who go way too extreme...but i think there is a point where going green becomes more of a stress you know...

Sum said...

Thats a good initiative.... we too have been implementing some such things at home.......