Pages

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Over the past week many things happened that I so desperately wanted to blog...But with my bad and failing memory half of them were lost in my brain...I was trying to cull some stuff out to write when I chanced upon Ashu's blog ...On beaches...So many memories came flooding back to me...

As I lived in the beautiful Chennai for more than eleven years I have many memories that relate to the beach and here I will share couple of them:

Memory #1: My best friend moved close to Besant Nagar when we had just started going to College (For those of you from other states...In T.Nadu College means University education and not eleventh and twelfth standard). Besant Nagar was not yet commercialized as it is now and most of the plots around her house were still under construction...We spent so many weekends sitting on the beautiful pavement along the coast watching guys trying to impress girls, seeing movie shootings, eating at Cozee, making friends and hanging out...

But the only thing we never got to do was watch the sun rise...We tried...I am not going to lie to you...We really did...One day the sun rose too early for us, it was up and about doing its thing before we got there...Once we got to the beach feeling tired waiting we slept and woke up after the sun had risen...Once we never got out of our bed...ya we were lazy...

So now I am in Mumbai with a group of friends and we brilliantly decide that we will surely see the sunrise at Juhu Beach the next morning...As all of them shared the same unfulfilled dream of watching sunrise like me...Armed with coke and chips we all waited at Juhu beach from 4.30am...the crowd increased people started walking, birds started chirping, the earth grew brighter and yet no sign of the rising sun from behind the ocean...Until some smartass remarked..."Machan sun east la rise aagum da...west la sun set dhan parka mudiyum...Unless we are in Kanyakumari." (Loosely translated means...Sun rises in the east and we can see sun set only in the west). All of us were so angry that we had missed out on sleep and this fellow ould not get his smartness like eight hours ago...

And thus I learnt practically that Sun rises in the East when I was twenty-one!!!

Memory #2: My best friend and I were getting totally bored. It was around three in the afternoon and it was one of those off times in Chennai when it rained like cats and dogs all day long...We decided it was too boring to sit in the house and the rain shouldn't stop us from enjoying life...So we decided that we would go to Cozee to have a hot cup of tea (which ofcourse her mother could have easily made for us...)...But we were determined...Dressed in jeans and tee we stepped out into the pouring rain...Ten minute walk to the beach and we walked the entire stretch till we reached Cozee...Really we were the only two vettis (jobless) walking in the rain...Infact one guy driving in a car also commented on us being crazy pretty loudly...I guess we were...We did see one couple trying their best to shelter themselves from rain in the beach standing under some wrought iron kids play structure...hahaha...We laughed at the fools and continued...I am sure they were laughing at us too...Or wondering "indha nerathula kooda privacy illa" (No privacy at this time too...)

We had our hot cup of tea and Walked back home in the still pouring rain once again laughing at the same couple...Totally wet...Mummy yelling, my friend's granny yelling...Too much tension in the house...We changed, sat down to watch TV when we noticed that the sun had come out and shining bright!!!! GRRRRRrrrrrrr...Varuna and Surya had conspired against us...We were soooooooo mad...But hey it was all worth those thirty minutes when we got wet in the rain like children forgetting that we were actually twenty plus!

1 comment:

Fosix said...

the juhu beach episode was too funny... cracked me up... :)))