Pages

Friday, July 05, 2013

7 Years!

During my first eleven years in Trichy I moved three times. When we moved to Chennai, we moved four times. That is times in eleven years until we finally settled down. And then I should remember my internship in Bangalore too. Then it was time for me to move to US. In the last thirteen years, I have changed cities, five times and houses five times too. I have pretty much been on the move making memories at every single place as I flit between homes. I really wonder how much fun it would have been if we had an ancestral home where we would have lived all our life and could also go back to it during vacation. I am jealous of all the people who have this opportunity. Then again, this moving is what makes me, well, me! 

Over the years, I have developed this detached attachment to places. I know I will leave them one day and hopefully move to better life and opportunities. When I came to America from Chennai, I carried, like all others, two suitcases of important things and tons of memories. That single experience changed me. Now I am a hogger for anything and everything that means memory-making. I have unopened boxes labeled as "Trinkets."

So anyhow, now after seven years we moved last week. The past seven years, have been the longest stint for us in one single home. And surprisingly the same holds good for the husband. We are nomads! We hate the change and we did not want to move out of the condo, until now. We are literally being forced to move for the sake of the daughter. Babs has to go to school and for that we had to move to a neighborhood with a good school district. So here we are, in our own home finally. We had tried to look for homes in the past but each time we were ready to close we backed out. We liked the comfort, the static life, the ease of lifestyle that our Condo provided. We were not ready to take on the adventure of being home owners until we had no choice.

Finally, we moved in. Into our very own nest. The feeling is different and I can compare it to having a baby. The home needs attention, love, caring, nurturing, just like a baby. Sometimes even more attention than a baby. We are constantly thinking of things to do, things that need to be done, or this and that and all about the house. Not that Babs has taken a back seat, that will never happen but that house is a close second now.  

Honestly, it is tiring, back breaking, never ending...but at the end of the day, with wine in one hand and feet up, sitting by the pool with friends, letting the pleasant July air waft by...it's all worth it!

Love
ART

PS: Surprisingly beautiful July Dallas is enjoying this year. 

1 comment:

Megha Bansal said...

Congratulations again and what a beautiful house you have!!!
I still remember the move to the condo, 7 years ago, a lot of fun was had.
Happy memories.