Pages

Friday, November 02, 2012

Falsetto!

I am really not a musician. I think can hold a tune and I believe I can sing but nothing that anyone other than me, and my daughter can tolerate. And as my daughter grows up I am slowly loosing my only fan...how sad is life for me. Anyways...when Babs was a baby we seriously indulged in Bollywood night and day but as she got closer to turning 5 she shifted focus to English songs. She knows all the new Pop singers and is in love with singing the songs.

Anyhoo...as we both listen to the songs on the radio I am becoming more aware of the distinction between western and Indian songs. At least for me...


  • In Indian songs the women have to sound as squeaky as possible. I remember when the Usalampatti (Gentleman movie) song released everyone criticised the lady voice saying she sounded like a guy, which she definitely did. But that is accepted in the West, the women's voice can range from Adele to the Usalampatti singer and it is fine...as long as you have dinchak beats.
  • Men in Indian songs have to sound male. They cannot get away from high pitches by switching over to falsetto, they have to keep it going base...but god does the west like the male falsetto? Have you heard Maroon 5? Beiber? MJ? Anyone and everyone like to sound like a lady at least for 30 seconds...
  • This one is digressing...In Indian music videos women love to wear the tight clothes....
Random thoughts while driving my 100miles per day...and just wanted to throw it out there...

Thanks
ART

No comments: